‘The Art of Walking’ was funded by The Arts Council www.artscouncil.org.uk. This was a really exciting project using walking in the local area to inspire women to create fantastic visual work. This included printmaking, painting, drawing, textiles as well as live and ambulatory art.
We were joined and inspired by some great, local artists too – Sarah Lowndes, Rachael Long, and Liz McGowan. We also visited The Sainsbury Centre, Norwich for a guided tour of the sculpture park.
The women enjoyed the project so much that they have set up as a voluntary group and are continuing without us!
Here are some quotes from them about the project:
- I always look forward to Fridays. Walking with a group of like-minded people makes me feel good and we have some great conversations while we walk. The group is always friendly and I’ve found that a problem shared is a problem halved and I always leave feeling better. The artwork is inspirational and we have learned a lot of different things.
- The printmaking was my favourite art. I love the group and the way we all got on together.
- Walking, lino cutting, printing, and friendship.
- Enjoyed making different art projects and enjoy all the laughs and company. Look forward to Fridays.
- Love our walks.
- Made wonderful friends.
- I really enjoyed trying out new crafts, although it confirmed I am no good at drawing or painting!! I had fun using wire to make sculpture and meeting Rachel Long. Enjoy the company and the banter. Mel and Holly put a lot of work and effort into making the day fun and enjoyable.
- I enjoy learning new crafts and particularly clay modeling.
- I have enjoyed all the activities but I especially enjoyed Rachel Long’s visit and working with wire. We are fortunate enough to have a very friendly group and Mel and Holly are fab
- I enjoy coming every week, I particularly enjoyed the week we used clay and wood collected from the forest.
- I have enjoyed the crafting/walking group for the chance to meet new people and make new crafts. I always look forward to coming and would miss it very much if it was not on as I have learned so much.